What is RTP in Casino & Why It Matters to Both Casinos and Players?

Casino RTP - Gambling RTP Explained
Ever wondered why some people leave the casino with a pocketful of cash while others walk out empty-handed?

People often think winning or losing in gambling is just luck. If a person walks out of the casino with winnings after spinning the reels, they are seen as lucky. But those who really know the game understand it is not just luck; it is all about math and probability. This is what we call RTP, or Return to Player.

Anyone thinking about starting betting is supposed to have an idea of how this concept works in reality.

Below we will figure out the meaning of RTP, exploring its connection to House Edge, Volatility, and Hit Frequency. We'll delve into its impact on betting outcomes, the methods used for calculation, and the various types and categories of RTP in relation to other factors.

So, if you are determined to place bets, go ahead to learn the rules and mechanics behind it.

What is Casino RTP

RTP, short for Return to Player, is a gambling jargon. This term explains the portion or percentage of the money you bet that the casino or slot machine pays back to players over time. It's like a guide for gamblers, helping them get a pretty accurate idea of their possible winnings.

In short, this is the average amount of your winnings.

Let's break it down with an example: imagine a slot has an RTP of 96%. If you bet $100, you could expect to win back around $96 on average. However, it's crucial to understand that RTP is an overall number that casinos pay to bettors over a long period. On an individual scale, don't mix it up with winning probability – that's a whole different variable, changing from person to person.

Simply put, RTP stands for the average amount that goes to the players; however it applies to all the games in process at any time. So, while one player might get 0%, another could score big with 5000%.It's all about winning probability.

As discussed above, RTP is the average amount of all the wagers paid back to players. Now, what about the rest? Let's say a slot has an RTP of 96%, leaving the casino with the other 4% as revenue. In the world of gambling, we call this the House Edge. To clarify, the House Edge is the opposite of RTP, representing the casino's earnings.

Now, let's introduce a key concept: RNG (Random Number Generator). This special algorithm, added by the  iGaming software provider,  determines the RTP to ensure every spin is fair and independent. The RNG program is tested by audits like BMM, iTech Labs, eCogra and others.

Understanding Volatility and Hit Frequency

Now, let's dive into two crucial concepts: Volatility and Hit Frequency. Since RTP is a concept heavily relying on mathematical calculations, let's break down the calculation:

RTP = (win1+win2+…win100)/(bet X 100) X 100%

In simpler terms, RTP equals the total sum of wins divided by the total sum of bets, multiplied by 100. This gives us the theoretical RTP or the potential amount a player might win. However, the actual RTP can be different due to various factors. The first factor is volatility.

Volatility is a variable to measure the risk of losing money, which indicates the frequency and sum of wins or losses. The range of volatility for different slots varies from low to high. Low volatility slots are programmed to pay out more often, but the payouts are smaller. On the other hand, high volatility games pay out less often, but when they do, it's with more bigger amounts. Understanding volatility is crucial, and pairing it with RTP provides a more accurate prediction of game outcomes. While they don'tdirectly influence each other, they can have an explicit impact on the final outcome.

Let us consider an example:

Two slots have the same RTP of 98%, but different volatility levels. How it works actually.
Low volatility slot:

- RTP: 98%
- Payouts: smaller, but more frequently
- About 60% of spins yield between $2 and $20 wins
- The rest 40% does not bring wins If a player bets $3 per spin for this case, the expected results are as follows:
- About 60% of the spins are to bring wins in between $2 and $20 dollars, while the rest 40% fail to bring any wins.
Now let us consider the same RTP slot of 98 % with a high volatility.

- RTP: 98%
- Payouts: Larger wins with less frequency
- About 20% of spins result in wins between %50 and %100
- The rest 80% bring no wins Say a player bets the same $3 per spin. Let us calculate the outcomes
- Around 20% of the spins will result in large wins in between $50 and %100
- However, most of the spins, namely 80% will bring no wins
Now, let's talk about another important factor: hit frequency. This is an indicator of how often slots are set to form a winning combination. If a slot has a 20% hit frequency, it means that out of every 100 spins, around 20 will result in a win.

Gambling RTP Calculation

Summing up, RTP is the overall percentage of the money paid back by the casino, volatility is the of winning or losing, while hit frequency comes to demonstrate how often a winning combination is programmed to form.

Professional gamblers consider the combination of all the three to get as much value as possible out of every spin.

Why RTP Matters to Both Operators and Casinos Players
Based on the data provided above, it's evident that RTP holds significant importance for both players and casinos alike.

For gamblers, it serves as a tool to predict their overall wins or losses, especially when considered alongside other factors, while for the operators, and those involved in iGaming services, RTP and its calculation is a straightforward indicator whether the casino is making a profit or facing losses.

RTP slots are typically categorized into three groups: low, medium, and high. A commonly accepted benchmark for a good RTP in a slot game is around 96%. However, it's essential to note that the specific type of game and the level of skill involved can significantly impact this figure.

RTP slots are typically categorized into three groups: low, medium, and high. A commonly accepted benchmark for a good RTP in a slot game is around 96%. However, it's essential to note that the specific type of game and the level of skill involved can significantly impact this figure.
share this article